I wanted to visit Veliko Tarnovo because a colleague from Deloitte was born and raised in this city. I did enjoy seeing some of the history that she described come alive.
- Grand old city of the czars – Veliko Tarnovo was the capital in Medieval times.
- Bulgarian czars lived in a palace that is now in ruins close to the Cathedral in Tsaravets Fortress.
- Set amidst beautiful forested hills, especially colorful in October.
- Citadel of the Second Bulgarian Empire.
- Most prestigious university in the country.
- Tsaravets Fortress one of Bulgaria’s most beloved monuments.
- The Patriarchal Cathedral of the Holy Ascension of God is a former Eastern Orthodox cathedral located on top of Tsarevets hill. The cathedral was the seat of the Bulgarian patriarch from its construction in the 11th–12th century to its destruction in 1393.
One of my favorite things about this visit was the unique modern style of paining in the Cathedral.