Firenze Santissia Annunziata

This church was founded in 1250 as the Holy Annunciation. It was rebuilt between 1444 and 1481. It’s atrium contains frescoes by the Mannerist artists Rosso Fiorentino, Andrea del Sarto, and Jacopo Pontormo.

The dark interior of the church has a fresco ceiling completed by Pietro Giambelli in 1669. There is also a shrine painting of the Virgin Mary that was begun by a monk in 1252 but completed by an angel (according to Florentine legend). Newlywed couples visit the shrine to present a bouquet of flowers to the virgin and to pray for a happy marriage. The church is situated on the northern flank of Piazza della Santissima Annunciata, one of the finest Renaissance squares in Florence.